Monday, April 25, 2005

When was the Last Time You Saw a Marine Cry?

Lots of people are coming back from Iraq either dead or with big ol' nasty wounds. The thing I can't get over is that many of these big, tough guys who went off to war all hard have come back broken. I'm not a forgiving person, ordinarily, but I just hate to see US Marines cry. And I see a lot of them doing just that, lately. What's wrong with these guys? Could it be that they're finally coming around to the fact that their government sent them off to a jolly little war without adequate protection? Is it a mental breakdown from the knowledge that they are now complicit in an illegal, genocidal war crime? Do they just dislike being fed into a meat grinder by a collection of punk-ass clowns on Capitol Hill?

Has anyone else noticed that all the nutjob snipers, homegrown terrorists--ah, I mean, "extremist militiamen"--and judge-shooting escaped convicts are ex-military? What can it all mean, I ask facetiously.