Thursday, March 15, 2007

Fine. I Love College Basketball.

I'm a hockey fan. It's a man's game. Teeth knocked out? No prob. Got your ass kicked by a goon? Get up, you pussy.

But here in America, hockey just doesn't get the Irish up. For that, I need college basketball. Without it, there'd be no bar fights. Everybody's pulling for Illinois tomorrow, and it'll be a lucky bar that gets me and my "UNC 75, Illinois 70" t-shirt. I have a dental plan. And a filed-toothbrush shiv.

Here's a funny/stupid article about Duke and how much they suddenly suck. Funny how, when 35% of your 19,456 3-point attempts per game don't go in, all of a sudden you suck mightily. Yes, folks: Duke's run WAS all dumb luck. And now it's over and they're paying the price. They have no hope next year. My only question after the loss to VCU today is, did Josh McRoberts cry? I bet he did.

The guy who wrote that piece clearly is no historian. I was reminded of the paradigm shift (not Kuhnian, but still) of sports earlier today. An article on NHL.com mentioned the Blackhawks hadn't played for the Cup in over 15 years, and as that series (with the damn Penguins! Rot in hell, Lemieux!!) was the origin of my fandom, I felt very old. And, since then, the Hawks have sucked a big, fat dick of futility. No one, in 1991, would have dared speculate that the team with Chelios, Roenick, dirty Dirk Graham, Ed Belfour, Zhamnov, Weinrich, Daze, et al; would implode and suck donkey balls for the next decade-and-a-half (or, the better part of my life).

Duke is going into that good night, says I. "Night"? "Spiral of death," let's say. Welcome to Blackhawks territory, fuckers.

If you don't like college basketball, you may just want to skip my posts for the next 30 days.