Sunday, September 18, 2005

Solidarity

To steal a great idea from the Freeway Blogger, I would like to propose a cooperative venture to bring monthly political lessons to the masses. Since, God knows, nobody but a self-selecting sample reads blogs, I think concerned citizens across this distressed nation should band together to get the public conscience in gear.

The proposal is really very simple: one person in a metropolitan area volunteers to make one bedsheet-sized sign per month, and then that person (and any accomplices) hangs the sign from a freeway overpass where thousands of commuters will see it. Classics from the Freeway Blogger include "Osama Bin Forgotten" and "I attacked America on 9/11 and all I got was away with it."

How's my proposal any different from the Freeway Blogger, you ask?

Well...
For maximum effect (and because when word gets around, the authorities might mistake this for a larger movement) the phrases on the signs will be identical across the country. Members will propose a slogan, have it voted on, and the winner will get his/her idea printed on a bunch of banners that month. The next month, we'll have a new vote and a new sign.

My current nominee is "If you lived in New Orleans, you'd be dead by now." I plan to put it up for this year's September 11th celebration of the Republicans' culture of death.