Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Agony of Being a Drone

Do you have Netflix? If you live in a large city, get it. Turnaround time is about 2 days. If you live in a smaller place, it can take 4-5 days. Sucks for you, but maybe small towns shouldn't exist, eh? For more on that, try the research of University of Chicago policy professor Robert Lalonde.

Anyway, go to netflix.com and look at the Top 100 list, which is a scroll of the most requested movies. The list updates daily. I have already rated every movie on the list, based either on actual viewing or my guess as to how much I would like it if I ever were to see it (some tripe, like The Notebook, I will never allow my eyes to waste precious retina-time on).

The point is that the list has been unchanged for months. What can this say about this country and its movie-watching habits? We watch the same bad movies over and over again? Is Hitch or the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (yeah, it's on there!) that earth-shattering?

How depressing.