Monday, May 07, 2007

Not Biographical Enough

Though the title, "Toby Keith: Working Class Hero, or Rich Asshole?" is one I can certainly get behind.

Some years ago a nice working man who was gluing laminate to a wall asked out loud, "why is all country music today so gay? It's all about how much 'I miss my daddy,' and 'I love my wife and kids and my truck and my big house on the cul-de-sac.' What the fuck is that?"

It was a good question then, and it's a good one now. Men don't usually sing about how their dads were better than them (in fact, isn't that the opposite of the American Dream? Aren't we supposed to achieve greatness our parents couldn't?). And country singers sure as shit shouldn't be talking about upper middle class bliss and how it suits them.

Dockers Khakis = Death.

Cowboy Hat = Brain Parasite

Ford F-150 "Rancher Edition" = Endless Shame

...courtesy of the (F-)USA