Friday, October 27, 2006

Is Our Children Learning?

Is it any wonder even college students are barely literate these days when they have this to look at? This woman is a professional film critic and she has at least three grammar errors in what amounts to a 1-page review. And, she writes like a child. Yes, I know that was a poorly-structured sentence. In her review, to get back to the subject, this passage really pisses me off, because it's the kind of nothing, meaningless drivel I get from students all the time:

"Why didn't Chamusso just tell the truth immediately? The damage done to the refinery certainly required investigation. Chamusso is considered a hero in South Africa and his story influenced the end of Apartheid. The real Chamusso appears at the end of the film and, indeed, he comes across immediately is a charismatic, kind man. I liked him."

1. Are you seriously trying to deconstruct the plot of a nonfiction film as though the writers could have changed the storyline to make more sense to you, a white middle class cow?

2. Do you know what a non sequitur is?

3. You "liked him"? Do you think I (or any readers of your "review") give a fuck that you liked him? Children writing essays, when they run out of actual information to convey, usually resort to the "um, so like, ya...his struggle was real hard but eventually he like, made it...and I liked him and stuff. The End."

Memo to FilmsInReview.com: I'm available. Call me.