Saturday, April 16, 2005

Reparations

Here's something I thought of many years ago, and it's the best reason I've ever heard for why reparations should not be paid to African Americans. I sent a letter on the subject to In These Times magazine, a Chicago lefty rag, and they published it. Which makes me quite the celebrity in my own house. Which is to say, I think I'm awesome.

Anyway, the point is this: we live in dumb times. Times where the exchange of money carries with it an implied contract. Just as out-of-court settlements preclude public discussion of the issue resolved, so too do most monetary transactions in a market society.

So what's the problem? In brief, the problem with paying reparations to people many generations removed from the act in question is that once every black person (and, I like to think, lots and lots of "white" people, too) receives the arbitrary lump sum (say, $20,000), the expectation will be that they will no longer voice complaints about their social situation. Does that make sense? See, if I gave you $20,000 dollars, effectively so you'll shut the fuck up, then I expect you to shut the fuck up. You have forfeited the right to say that your schools are terrible (they are), that people discriminate against you (they do), and that society is institutionally racist (it is).

Reparations, in short, would be a buyout of white guilt, and I would be amazed if whites ever again entertained any black complaints.

Two words: bad idea.

Although: I think my wife's family has a mixed up wood pile, so if we get $20,000, I'm all for it.