Sunday, February 13, 2005

The Left and Moral Values

I don't buy the assertion that the Left lost an election on "moral values," because anyone who thinks knows that morality has only a passing familiarity with the Left but even less with the Right. The way I see it, and as I have said already, the Democrats lost on the war, which Kerry punted to Bush in exactly the way Dean wouldn't have (I know, that a counterfactual statement).

My big question is, how do we, the normals, get the moral high ground back (or any moral ground, for tha matter)? My father says the split between faith and reason came during the Cold War; I know from research that progressives in the 1910s and earlier felt a strong millennial impulse. Their secular faith in the transformative power of "science," as Lippmann understood it was the driving force behind many otherwise incomprehensible movements.

OK, so the Cold War is a nasty legacy to live with. Where do we begin dismantling it? How do we (re)reconcile science and morality? Anyone?

Bueller?